Who is OC Energy?

OC Energy is an Australian company with our head office based in Melbourne, as well as having offices operating in Sydney and Brisbane. We pride ourselves on being an industry leader of In-building Solutions for multi-unit developments, with our core business being embedded electrical networks.

We operate a growing number of embedded networks across Eastern Australia.

On 1 March 2019 Origin Energy completed the purchase of OC Energy. Origin has been around since 2000 and is one of Australia’s leading integrated energy companies with more than 4.2 million customer accounts and interests in generation and production. Its Centralised Energy Services business manages over 160,000 hot water and 17,000 electricity customers across more than 2500 buildings.

For more information visit our about us page.

What is an embedded network?

In simple terms, an embedded network is the in-building electrical setup that allows us to buy electricity in bulk for a development, and then meter and on sell this electricity to residents. The main advantage of this arrangement is that it allows us to pass on the benefits of bulk buying electricity to residents.

For more information visit AER's website or our Embedded Networks page 

What are the benefits of an embedded network?

So what are the benefits:

  • Improved electricity rates resulting from bulk purchase of electricity*
  • No lock-in contracts
  • No late payment fees
  • We keep the lights on for you when moving into new developments**
  • New developments have smart meters with remote reading and access to interval data
  • Customer service team that is familiar with your particular apartment building

*Rate benefits are compared to standing charges of major retailers. **Lights are on for up to a month from the first settlement date. Charges will begin as soon as you start using your utilities. 

Do I have the right to choose my energy retailer?

Yes. Electricity customers are able to choose their energy retailer.

Embedded network operators are required by law to provide customers with information at the start of their tenancy/electricity agreement. Click here to view.

How often will I receive bills from OC Energy?

OC Energy issues bills every one or two months depending on your building. Your OC Energy bill will state the estimated date of the next scheduled meter reading for your apartment. You can expect to receive your OC Energy bill 1 to 2 weeks after the date of the meter reading.

What tariff am I on?

The most obvious place to find your tariff is on your most recent bill. If you need assistance, please call us on 1300 49 40 80 or email us at info@ocenergy.com.au remembering to include your address and account details.

The Victoria 2018-19 'single rate' minimum solar feed-in tariff is 9.9 cents per kilowatt hour. For more information please visit the Essential Services Commission website.

How can I pay my OC Energy bill?

Credit Card: Online or by phone on: 1300 49 40 80.

BPAY: Please refer to invoice for Biller Code and your customer reference number.

In Person: Pay your bill in person by visiting any post office in Australia along with a copy of your OC Energy invoice.

Direct Deposit:  To set up your direct debit payment or to update your payment details fill out the Direct Debit Authority form and email it to billing@ocenergy.com.au.  Alternatively, you can mail it back to us via PO Box 7285, Melbourne, Vic, 3004.

Mail: Mail your cheque or money order (payable to OC Energy Pty Ltd) together with the payment slip from your bill to: OC Energy Pty Ltd, PO Box 7285, Melbourne VIC 3004.

For more information on ways to pay for bill please refer to our 'Pay your Bill' page or if you would like to discuss any of the above payment options in more detail please contact the OC Energy Customer Service team on: 1300 49 40 80

What should I do if there is an interruption to my electricity supply?

Energy providers do their best to avoid interruptions, but from time to time unforeseen events may affect your power supply.

Your first step should be to check whether the electricity outage affects only your apartment. Do your neighbours have power? Is there still power in common areas?

If the interruption has affected only your property, please check that all the switches in the switchboard are in the ‘on’ position and/or contact your preferred electrician for assistance.

If the outage extends to neighbouring properties you should contact your building manager or leasing agent to report this issue.  You should then contact your distributor, this information can be found at the top of a previous bill, or you can contact us on: 1300 49 40 80

What should I do if I’m moving out?

Please notify us of the date you intend to move as soon as possible. Do this by filling out and returning to us the disconnection form available by visiting the move out page. You must provide us with a forwarding postal address prior to moving out. We will then arrange for a meter reading to be undertaken and for a final bill to be issued to you.

How can I switch to another retailer?

Firstly, when considering switching to another retailer, contact us so we can explain the process and let you know your options.

The process for entering into the retail market is different in some ways, and it is important that when seeking pricing from retailers you tell them that the account is currently within an embedded network. Regardless of which electricity retailer you choose, the network distribution component of your electricity costs will remain with OC Energy.

We are always happy to review retail electricity rates in comparison with comparable offers from other retailers. If you have an alternate offer and would like us to review your rate, please provide us with a copy of the offer by sending it via email to OC Energy at pricing@ocenergy.com.au.

When speaking to an alternate Retailer about getting a quote you will need to make the following considerations:

  1. Advise them you are within an embedded network.
  2. As you are within an embedded network, ask the retailer to unbundle their offer and provide an ‘energy only’ offer. Should you elect to take an alternate retail offer, OC Energy will continue to bill for the network distribution component (known as the Market Meter Tariff), so you may receive two electricity bills.
  3. Changing to an alternate retailer may come with some changes to your service. A new retailer may choose to replace the OC Energy meter with their own. Note that in setting up the initial embedded network, OC Energy has already covered all metering charges so there are no additional or ongoing costs for the OC Energy meter.
  4. Be aware that some retailers may charge a new connection or similar fee for this service so you need to ask what this cost is, and if it is applicable.
  5. Swapping over the meter may require a brief off-supply period. We suggest getting clear information around the details of any off supply period from the alternate retailer.

If, after having a better idea of the costs and process involved with switching to another retailer, you still wish to leave, these are the next steps:

  1. The alternate retailer will contact the site's Embedded Network Manager (Choice Metering) in order for them to create a NMI (National Meter Identifier) and then register the NMI for on market operations.
  2. Once the NMI is created, the alternate retailer will then be able to change your meter and provide you with a retail plan.
  3. Remember, you may receive two invoices; one from the alternate retailer for the retail component, and one from OC Energy for the applicable Distribution Tariff component of your supply.

OC Energy are happy to assist with this change of retailer process. Feel free to contact us by calling 1300 49 40 80 or emailing pricing@ocenergy.com.au

For more information on ENM's check out our blog or AER's website.

Life Support

If someone uses life support equipment at your property you must register this with us. To register, you need to call us on 1300 49 40 80 or email us at life.support@ocenergy.com.au. You will need to provide us with a Life Support Certificate completed by a registered medical practitioner. Once registered with us we will notify you of any planned outages. There may be unplanned power outages due to unforeseen events beyond our control, so be sure to have a detailed emergency plan in place. If you do not register, we will not be able to provide you with practical advice (where possible) in the event of a power interruption or failure. Make sure your telephone contact details are kept up to date and you must let us know when life support equipment is no longer required at your property.

Am I entitled to a concession on my OC Energy bill?

Depending on your individual circumstances, you may be entitled to a concession on your electricity account. Concession may be available to customers holding an eligible Pensioner Card, Healthcare Card or Goldcard on behalf of the Department of Human Services.

To claim the concession in Victoria, you will need to submit a Non-Mains Energy Concession Form to the Department of Human Services. The form can be obtained from the Department’s website: www.dhs.vic.gov.au 

For other states and further information, please email us at concessions@ocenergy.com.au

Finding it difficult to stay on top of your bills?

OC Energy has a Hardship Policy to support you through difficult times. 'Hardship' is a circumstance that a customer may face when they have the intention, but not the capacity, to make a payment within the time frame required. In other words, our Hardship Policy is designed to assist customers who want to pay their energy bills, but for whatever reasons, are unable to.

Download our Hardship Policy.

Contact us

Talk to our Customer Services team, Monday to Friday 8:30am – 5:30pm, AEDT call 1300 49 40 80

For interpreter services please contact TIS on 131 450
If you have a hearing or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service on 133 677

To register for life support email us at: life.support@ocenergy.com.au.

For further information on concessions email us at: concessions@ocenergy.com.au

OR for any other enquiries send us an email any time at: info@ocenergy.com.au

Only call emergency services if life or property is at risk. 000

Do Not Contact List

OC Energy maintain a no contact list, if you do not wish to be contacted by OC Energy for marketing purposes, then please ask us to note you down as a Do Not Contact customer.

To be noted as Do Not Contact please contact us by email at: info@ocenergy.com.au

Or you can call our customer service team on: 1300 49 40 80

Complaints Procedure

Sometimes things go wrong, but that’s why the OC Energy team is here to help. If there is an issue we want you to let us know straight away so that we can try and solve your concerns as quickly as possible, and continually improve our services.

For more information about our complaints procedures Download our Complaints Handling Policy.

You can also contact the Energy Ombudsman in your state at any time for independent advice and assistance

So how do I make a complaint?
  1. Call us – You can call our Customer Services center and speak to one of our friendly team members on 1300 49 40 80
  2. Email us – Email our complaints team at complaints@ocenergy.com.au
  3. Write to us – Send a letter to our PO Box 7285, Melbourne VIC 3004
Concern still not resolved?

We really hope that we can resolve your problem by this stage, but if you are still not happy you can contact the energy Ombudsman.

Energy & Water Ombudsman New South Wales

By Post: Reply Paid 86550, Sydney South NSW 1234

Free call: 1800 246 545

Free fax: 1800 812 291

Interpreter: 131 450 - For help using an interpreter visit TIS

NRS: 133 677 - For help using this service visit NRS

Email: complaints@ewon.com.au

Energy & Water Ombudsman Victoria 

By Post: Reply Paid 469, Melbourne, VIC, 8060

Free call: 1800 500 509

Free fax: 1800 500 549

Interpreter: 131 450 - For help using an interpreter visit TIS

NRS: 133 677 - For help using this service visit NRS

Email: ewovinfo@ewov.com.au

See the EWOV Embedded networks fact sheet here>